Very strong thanks (save these for the people who helped you the most):
- I would like to express my deepest appreciation to my committee
- I’m deeply indebted to
- I would also like to extend my deepest gratitude to …..
- I’m extremely grateful to
- (Something—my success, the completion of my dissertation) would not have been possible without the support and nurturing of (person).
- I cannot begin to express my thanks to …., who ….
Less strong, but very appreciative:
- I would like to extend my sincere thanks to …/ I must also thank …
- I would like to thank… / I also wish to thank…
- I am also grateful to … / I’d also like to extend my gratitude to …. Many thanks to
- Special thanks to
- Thanks also to …
- Thanks should also go to …
- I very much appreciate…
- Especially/Particularly helpful to me during this time were , , and , who … I also had great pleasure of working with ….
- I cannot leave Georgia Tech without mentioning (person), who. ….
Less strong, but certainly adequate
- I’d like to acknowledge the assistance/help/effort of….
- I gratefully acknowledge the assistance/help/effort of …
- I’d like to recognize the assistance/help/effort that I received from …..
After you thank, say WHY you are thanking them in the following ways:
- Several people/someone played a decisive role in (doing something for you)
- Someone provided you with encouragement and patience throughout the duration of this project
- Someone was instrumental in (doing) something for you… Someone whose help cannot be overestimated….
- Someone extended a great amount of assistance… Someone always supported and nurtured you… Someone never let you down…
- Someone never wavered in their support..
Some adjectives/nouns to describe what these people gave you:
- valuable advice / invaluable contribution / suggestions / experience invaluable insight into (something) relentless/unrelenting/unparalleled support
- profound belief in my work/in my abilities useful/practice/helpful contributions practical suggestions
- helpful advice
- unwavering support/unwavering guidance constructive criticism/advice ingenious/insightful suggestions
- knowledge (extensive knowledge, unparalleled knowledge) patience that cannot be underestimated